Follow Us Online
REACH for Literacy - Literacy Enrichment for the Young Child
REACH for Literacy provides parents and teachers with step-by-step reading and writing lesson plans to effectively tutor a preschool or kindergarten child through building a solid literacy foundation and then teaching him/her to read and write.
Developed and field-tested by Dr. Rena M. Walker, this enrichment guide offers a practical way to apply theories of child-centered and whole-brain processing approaches. Not only are these approaches effective for your child, but they are also enjoyable for you to use. One-on-one instruction allows the tutor to personalize the activities. REACH for Literacy is known to teach more in less time.
A 4-year-old child is tutored 30 minutes twice a week during the first 3 weeks of the month to complete 46 lessons before kindergarten. If the student is 5, he/she should be tutored for 30 minutes 3–4 times a week, complete the 46 lessons, and read additional leveled books before entering first grade.
Components in the REACH for Literacy program include:
- Language Development
- Balanced Components: including Shared Reading, Guided Process Reading, Modeled Writing, and Guided Process Writing
- Phonemic Awareness • Phonics
- Spelling • Handwriting
- Reading and Writing Strategies
- Comprehension • Assessment
- 8 AA Level Books • 9 A Level Book
- And Much More!
What sets REACH for Literacy apart from other programs?
- No drill
- Skills are taught in a context where they make sense
- Each child is individually paced
- Activities can be personalized to each child’s interest and favorite subjects
- Foundation skills smoothly transition a child into reading & writing
- Assessment descriptors match the child’s behaviors, no confusing test scores
- Learning is reflected in classroom instruction
The REACH for Literacy tutoring guide will direct the parent or teacher step by step through a child’s literacy development to ensure he/she is a successful reader and writer.